Monday, August 3, 2009

The Spritzer

Martha did not fail me this weekend and the two recipes I tried for the bike trek/picnic were tasty. And the carrot cake-wiches from Sprouted Kitchen -- amazing. Gabby made a Pomegranate Spritzer, which was really good and made me consider how good it would be if it combined super powers with either gin, vodka, or dare I say white wine...

***

I've always had a certain disdain for the nefarious breed of woman who will order 'a White Zin with an ice cube' in a superior tone. Working in a wine bar during college, I saw much of this specimen. She warranted inclusion into our employee training where we were taught to respond, 'I'm sorry ma'am, but we don't serve White Zinfandel. May I suggest a Gewürztraminer or Reisling' to which the typical reaction was an annoyed facial expression that damned me a Philistine.

The specimen's back-up order was more than likely a White Wine Spritzer, which I came to also disdain by association and because it's just a lame drink order.

***

But I find myself sitting on a picnic blanket enjoying a close relative and wanting more. Although vanity prevents me from ever ordering a White Wine Spritzer in public, I will certainly buy a magnum of Beringer and mix my own at home.


Stigma be damned, the spritzer is good

No comments: