Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Some Favorite Things: von Trapp skirts

Every year, the community theater in my hometown puts on a production of "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever." It was kind of a big deal to 10-13 year-old me and I tried out a few times.

During my first year of auditions, I was inexperienced and did not come equipped with a song, so they told me to sing "Happy Birthday." Halfway through, I forgot the words and froze. Then I just nervously wandered off the stage, thinking that if I just exited casually, they might not think I was actually auditioning.

Reflecting on my performance afterward, I decided that I should have been more spontaneous and just made up a whole new birthday song. They would have said 'she may be an idiot, but dammit she has the moxie we've been searching for in this talentless town.' Lesson learned. Next year they would see moxie and the addition of some choreography.

So the following year, I came fully armed with a routine to "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music. In my interpretation, there couldn't be enough physical zest to express "raindrops on roses" and "door bells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles." I tended toward the literal in my interpretive dance. But when I ran out of ideas, I filled time by waving my arms in a sunrise motion while tapping my heel. My mother told me that it was a performance to remember. I agreed and imagined the casting director discussing my star quality over dinner later.

Much to my surprise, I didn't get a call back.

Not taking the hint, "My Favorite Things" appeared again for my third audition. This time around, it tasted strongly of bitterness. I was thirteen and started to be conscious of my degradation as I waited to be called, sitting between the 8- and 9-year-olds who were all cast in the play last year. Sadly this didn't end my career in theatre and I continued to seek out humiliating roles in school plays, such as "Hippie Dancer," "Santa's Third Reindeer," and "Elderly Betsy Ross."

***

That anecdote is a very off-point segue into the reason for this post: von Trapp-inspired skirts.

Rob's sister, Elinor and her friend Evelyne are starting a custom clothing company called E&A&E&A&B&K&Co. One of their designs is called the Von Trapp skirt and I love it, especially the contrasting interior pockets. The fabric is of course inspired by upholstery. I'm convinced if I had worn this as part of my audition ensemble, I would have clinched a speaking role.

They're on Etsy or you can bid on one of their custom creations at the Seduction of Duchamp Live Auction. So if you're auditioning anytime soon, this is a must:




This one is my favorite



No comments: